1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 356°F / gas mark 3. You can reduce the oven temperature but this will increase the cooking time.
2. In a large hot saucepan (with a lid) fry the beef with a little oil until browned all over. Wash, peel and chop all the vegetables into fairly large chunks and add to the beef.
3. Add 2tsp of salt and some pepper along with any herbs.
4. Add cold water to just cover the meat and vegetables and bring to the boil. Any fat that floats to the top can be skimmed off the top with a large spoon.
5. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1.5 – 2 hours or until the meat breaks up / comes off the bone when pressed.
6. Serve with potatoes or dumplings.
Preparation Time: 20mins
Cook Time: 1hrs 30mins to 2hrs
Serves: 6 people
1.2 kg stewing beef of choice a bit more if it is on the bone
2kg vegetables; carrot, swede, parsnip, leeks, turnips, celery etc.
2 large onions
5 cloves garlic
Salt (if using) and pepper
Thyme, rosemary and bay leaves