1. Chop the shallots into a fine dice and place in a bowl with a pinch of salt and the lime zest and juice.
2. Mince the garlic finely and add.
3. Chop the chili and add.
4. Add the olive oil, vinegar, thyme and pepper and mix well.
5. Using about half of this mix, marinate the chicken in a covered bowl in the fridge overnight.
6. Add the water and chopped coriander to the other half and leave in the fridge. This will be your sauce.
7. Cook the chicken in your preferred way ensuring that it is cooked through, checking that the juices run clear or that it has a core temperature of at least 65°C / 149°F.
8. Serve and spoon over plenty of the sauce.
Preparation Time: 15mins to 12hrs
Cook Time: 45mins
Serves: 4 people
4 chicken legs (or 1 whole chicken jointed into 8 pieces on the bone)
4 shallots or 2 small onions
Zest and juice of 3 limes
2 garlic cloves
¼ - 1 chili depending on type and heat wanted
A splash of white wine vinegar
A splash of olive oil
A small bunch of coriander
A handful of thyme leaves
Salt (if using) and pepper
Preparation time: 15 mins
Marinade time: 1 – 12 hours