1. In a large saucepan brown the skin side of the chicken in a little olive oil. Remove and set aside.
2. Peel and chop all the vegetables leaving them nice and chunky. Add to the pan and fry over a high heat until they start to get a little colour.
3. Add the bay leaf, tomatoes, paprika and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper.
4. You may need to add a little water to make sure the vegetables are just covered with liquid.
5. Place the chicken thighs back in the stew cover with a lid and either simmer on the stove or place in an oven at 190°C / 374°F / gas mark 4 for about 35 minutes.
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 45mins
Serves: 4 people
4 chicken thighs
1 large onion
1 turnip / swede
1 stick of celery
4 cloves of garlic
1 tin chickpeas
I tin tomatoes
1 bay leaf
A splash of olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
Salt (if using) and pepper
If you are worried about ensuring that chicken is cooked through there are several ways of testing it: buy a cheap meat thermometer and make sure it is at least 65°C at the bone or poke a knife into the thickest part and hold there for 10 seconds, remove and see if the tip is hot and whether the juices coming out are clear.