1. Dry fry all the spices in a medium saucepan gently until they toast slightly (approx 1 min) then remove and set aside.
2. Warm a good splash of olive oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and chili and fry gently.
3. When the onion starts to soften (but with no colour) add the lentils, cooked spices and coconut milk and cook for 10 mins on a medium heat.
4. Remove the dal from the heat and stir in the spinach and coriander.
5. Store in the fridge overnight. The dal will be a similar consistency to hummus when cold.
6. Serve with rye crackers and sprinkle with chili flakes.
Preparation Time: 10mins
Cook Time: 20mins
Serves: 2 people
2 x 400g tin pre-cooked brown lentils (drained and rinsed)
1 onion (diced)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala (or curry powder)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 small green chili (chopped & optional)
1 bunch fresh coriander (chopped)
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
1 x 200g bag fresh spinach (washed and roughly chopped)
Chili flakes (to taste)