1. Cut the new potatoes in half and boil with a pinch of salt, being careful not to over cook. Remove from the water and allow to cool down.
2. Finely chop onion, garlic, gherkins, parsley and capers and mix together in a bowl.
3. Add the lemon zest and juice, horseradish olive oil and mix again.
4. Mix the potatoes and dressing together. This could be done well in advance or even the night before, as the flavours will mingle together.
5. Preheat the grill to maximum.
6. Lay the sardines on a tray and salt and pepper well on both sides as this will help the fish to not stick.
7. Grill the fish on one side until the skin starts to crisp, then turn over and do the same on the other side being careful as the fish is quite delicate.
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 35mins
Serves: 4 people
8 – 12 whole sardines – ask the fishmonger to remove scales and clean
1kg new potatoes
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
10 small gherkins
1 tbls capers
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
A few sprigs of parsley
1 tsp fresh grated horseradish or sauce
50ml olive oil
Salt and pepper