1. In a dry pan, fry the spices and pepper until they start to toast, then remove from the pan and place in a bowl.
2. Add oil to the pan and over a medium heat fry the chopped onions, garlic and a pinch of salt until soft but without colour.
3. Add the rice and spices, mix well then add the water.
4. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the eggs (whole and still in their shell) and peas and cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. The rice should be cooked when the water has just about gone, but you may have to add a little more water if the rice is not quite cooked.
7. Remove the eggs, cool a little and peel (try not to burn your fingers).
8. Remove the skin and any bones from the fish and break up a little, chop the coriander, add the peas and quarter the eggs. Add to the rice and stir gently.
9. Serve up.
Preparation Time: 5mins
Cook Time: 35mins
Serves: 4 people
250g Brown ‘easy cook’ rice
1 pkt smoked mackerel (2 -3 fillets)
600ml cold water
2 handfuls of peas
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
A small bunch of fresh coriander
A splash of oil
Salt (if using) and pepper