1. Heat a large saucepan until very hot, add the olive oil and the mince, do not stir for 5 minutes until the edges are starting to brown.
2. Turn the meat once and leave for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the onion and garlic and stir well. Cook for a further 3 minutes stirring regularly.
4. Add the herbs and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and then stir in the tomatoes. Rinse the tomato tin out with water (approx 1/2 tin of water) and add to the mixture. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
5. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200°C / 400°F.
6. In a large, oven proof dish arrange a layer of sliced aubergine and top with tomato sauce. Repeat the layering until you use up all the ingredients and finish with a layer of the mince ragu on top.
7. Place dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Preparation Time: 8mins to 10mins
Cook Time: 1hrs
Serves: 6 people
750g minced lamb (or beef)
2 onions (diced)
2 large aubergines (sliced into ½ cm thick slices lengthways)
2 x 400g tin tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp rosemary
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
Splash olive oil
Equipment / Utensils
Oven proof dish.