1. Preheat the oven to 190°C / 374°F / gas mark 4.
2. Peel and slice the potatoes fairly thinly.
3. Peel onions and slice. Crush garlic. Chop up bacon.
4. Mix all ingredients except the water together in a large ovenproof dish.
5. Boil some water.
6. Press down and not quite cover with water / stock.
7. Cover the dish with tin-foil.
8. The cooking time will depend on the depth of potato, an inch thickness should cook in about an hour. If you insert a knife and feel no resistance then it is cooked.
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 1hrs to 1hrs 30mins
Serves: 4 to 6 people
1.5 kg potatoes
10 slices of bacon
1 bunch of kale 2 large onions
5 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
A few sprigs of thyme
Salt and pepper
Water or stock
You could replace the kale with cabbage.