1. Chop up bacon into finger thick pieces.
2. Heat a large saucepan (that has a lid) and fry the bacon in a little olive oil on a gentle heat until you start to get a bit of colour.
3. Slice onion and add along with a good pinch of salt and pepper then cook until soft.
4. Meanwhile chop the cabbage finely and using a peeler ‘slice’ the carrots lengthways to make ribbons.
5. Increase the heat to maximum.
6. Crush the garlic and add to the pan along with the cabbage and carrot.
7. Stir well and when the pan has heated back up (you will hear the cabbage sizzle) add the water and cover with the lid immediately.
8. The cabbage will then finish cooking with the steam and when the water has evaporated (when you start to hear the cabbage frying again) the cabbage should be cooked.
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 10mins
Serves: 2 to 4 people
1 Cabbage, thinly chopped (savoy works best but you could use any)
1 large onion
6 slices smoked streaky bacon
3 cloves of garlic (optional)
A splash of olive oil
Salt and pepper