1. Place the rice, 300ml cold water and a pinch of salt in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until the water has gone. Remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
2. Toast all the ground spices in a dry saucepan until fragrant (approx 1 min). Set aside in a dish.
3. Heat the oil and sauté the onions until they start to colour. Add the garlic, mustard seeds and spices and sauté for another minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and sweet potato and enough water to come half way up the sweet potato, cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
5. Stir in the spinach and coriander and serve.
Preparation Time: 8mins to 10mins
Cook Time: 30mins
Serves: 2 people
4 sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
250g fresh spinach (washed)
1 bunch coriander (roughly chopped)
2 onions (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp garam masala
1 long red chilli (sliced)
1 tsp whole mustard seeds
4 large vine tomatoes (roughly diced)
3 tbls sunflower oil
Salt and pepper (to taste)
100g brown basmati rice